Skip to content

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency

September 22, 2009

In 2011, a new agency called the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau will be created to respond to complaints about all financial products.

Until then, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) accepts complaints about national banks, their operating subsidiaries, and branches of foreign banks in the US.  However, the OCC states on its website that, “If your complaint involves a bankor other institution not regulated by the OCC, we will refer it toanother agency. We will notify you if we do so.  You should not have toresubmit your complaint or accompanying documentation. However, you maybe contacted if the other agency needs additional information.”

If you want to be sure the OCC regulates your bank, you can check these lists to see if your bank is a national bank or an operating subsidiary of a national bank.  If so, it is regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Our Suggestion

If you cannot figure out who regulates your lender, we suggest filing your complaint with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC)The Federal Reserve Board (FRB), and your State Banking Office.  Both the OCC and the FRB promise to reroute complaints mistakenly filed with them.

How To File A Complaint

Use the OCC’s online complaint form (PDF) to write your complaint, or send them a letter.  Send it to the address listed on the form.

If sending a letter, include the following information in your complaint:

  • The name of the National Bank or its Operating Subsidiary;
  • Your complete name and mailing address as used by the bank;
  • Your daytime telephone number;
  • A detailed explanation of the complaint or inquiry and description of how you would like the matter resolved;
  • The signature of the account holder, legal guardian, Power of Attorney, or other person authorized to act for the account holder. If you are not the account holder, you must include documentation indicating your authority;
  • Documentation supporting your position (copies, not originals);
  • Sign and date your letter, and mail or fax it to the address below.

OCC Contact Information

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Customer Assistance Group
1301 McKinney Street
Suite 3450
Houston, TX 77010

FAX: 713-336-4301
TOLL-FREE PHONE:  1-800-613-6743 (available Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Central Time)

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: