Skip to content

National Credit Union Administration

September 22, 2009

In the second half of 2011, a new agency called the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau will be created to respond to complaints about all financial products.

Until then, the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) is the regulator of your credit union if it is a Federal Credit Union (a credit union with the word “federal” contained in its name), or if it is in Delaware, South Dakota, Wyoming or Washington, DC.

Click here to look up your credit union’s charter number.  Federal credit unionshave charter numbers under 60000, state-chartered credit unions havecharter numbers greater than 60000.

If your complaint concerns a state-chartered credit union (a credit union without theword “federal” as part of its name) which is located outside Delaware, SouthDakota, Wyoming or Washington, DC, file your complaint with the state supervisory authority.

Our Suggestion

If you cannot figure out who regulates your lender, we suggest filing your complaint with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC)The Federal Reserve Board (FRB), and your State Banking Office.  Both the OCC and the FRB promise to reroute complaints mistakenly filed with them.

How To File a Complaint

You may file a formal complaint by sending the NCUA a letter – no special form is required – to the NCUA regional office for your state (click your state below for contact information).

Include the following information in your complaint:

  • The full name and address of the credit union
  • A clear explanation of your problem
  • A brief description of what action you want the credit union to take to resolve the problem
  • Legible photocopies of supporting documentation (if you have it).  Do not send your original statements or other documents.
  • A copy of any written correspondence you have already had with the federal credit union regarding the issue at hand and any reply that you received
Alabama Idaho Minnesota North Dakota Utah
Alaska Illinois Mississippi Ohio Vermont
Arizona Indiana Missouri Oklahoma Virgin Islands
Arkansas Iowa Montana Oregon Virginia
California Kansas Nebraska Pennsylvania Washington
Colorado Kentucky Nevada Puerto Rico Washington, DC
Connecticut Louisiana New Hampshire Rhode Island West Virginia
Delaware Maine New Jersey South Carolina Wisconsin
Florida Maryland New Mexico South Dakota Wyoming
Georgia Massachusetts New York Tennessee
Hawaii Michigan North Carolina Texas

NCUA Contact Information

1775 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314

PHONE: 703.518.6360

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: