Skip to content

Federal Trade Commission

September 22, 2009

In the second half of 2011, a new agency called the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau will be created to respond to complaints about all financial products.

Until then, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulates non-bank lenders, such as mortgage companies, stores, auto dealers, and finance companies.  You can also file a complaint against a credit reporting agency with the FTC if there is a mistake on your credit report, or if you are being harassed by debt collectors.

Our Suggestion

If you cannot figure out who regulates your lender, we suggest filing your complaint with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC)The Federal Reserve Board (FRB), and your State Banking Office.  Both the OCC and the FRB promise to reroute complaints mistakenly filed with them.

How to file a complaint

Use the FTC’s online questionnaire to file your complaint.

FTC Contact Information

The Federal Trade Commission
600 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20580

TOLL-FREE PHONE:  1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357)
TTY: 1-866-653-4261

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: